|Stay with us when visting Bucknell
Founded in 1846 as the University at Lewisburg, Bucknell traces its origination to a group of Baptists who deemed it "desirable that a Literary Institution should be established in Central Pennsylvania, embracing a High School for male pupils, another for females, a College and also a Theological Institution."
The group’s efforts for the institution began to crystallize in 1845 when Stephen William Taylor, a professor at Madison University (now Colgate) in Hamilton, N.Y., was asked to prepare a charter and act as general agent for the university’s development.
The charter for the University at Lewisburg, granted by the Legislature of Pennsylvania and approved by the governor on Feb. 5, 1846, carried one stipulation – that $100,000 be raised before the new institution would be granted full corporate status. More than 4,000 subscribers ultimately contributed, including a small boy who gave 12 cents.
(Click on any B&B Name to open their web site in a new Window)
|Bed & Breakfast||Picture of the B&B |
|Copper Beech Manor|
● 1 Miles - 2 Minutes away.
17 Market Street
Lewisburg, PA 17837
570-524-1460 Check Availability
5 Rooms ● Rates 139.00 - 169.00
● Copper Beech Manor is named for the majestic Copper Beech tree that graces the rear gardens. Built in 1857, this large brick Federal was home to Jonathan Nesbit and his sister who were some of Lewisburg's early residents.
|Centre Mills Bed and Breakfast|
● 35 Miles - 50 Minutes away.
461 Smullton Road
Rebersburg, PA 16872
2 Rooms ● Rates $100.00 - $125.00
● Step back in time and discover a very special country place
|Serene View Farm Bed and Breakfast|
● 48 Miles - 1 Hour 23 Minutes away.
80 Engle Mill Lane
Williamsport, PA 17701
3 Rooms ● Rates 115.00 - 135.00
● Nestled in the charming countryside of the Endless Mountains near Williamsport Pennsylvania, Serene View Farm is a beautiful Victorian Bed and Breakfast providing a relaxing retreat that you will love to call home.